LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
9:30 am Tuesday, August 25, 2015
Guilford Free Library – Guilford, CT
PRESENT: Kathleen Sasso – EH, Lisa Timothy –EL, Richard Conroy –EX, Sandra Ruoff – GU, Rob McCoole – GU, Marian Amodeo – HM, Bonny Albanese –MA, Elizabeth Davidson –MC, Deb Barberi –MD, Karen Roesler – ME, Bob Hull – NB, Lois Baldini – NH, Suzanne Maryeski – NL, Cornell McNair – NW, Mary Fiorelli – OL, Meryl Farber –OR, Alice Pentz – ST, Michael Gilroy – RA, Jane Fisher – WA, Janet Flewelling – WA, Colleen Bailie –WM, Eric Werthmann – WD, Alan Hagyard – LION, Matt Beardsley – LION, Justin Strickland – LION, Rick Widlansky – LION.
I. CALL TO ORDER: Jane F. called the meeting to order at 9:37 a.m.
II. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA: None
III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:Marian A. noted that Jessica Dans from Hamden Library was left off the list of those in attendance. The minutes of the June 23, 2015 meeting as corrected were accepted on a motion by Bob H. and a second by Lisa T.
V. TREASURER’S REPORT – Treasurer, Bob Hull presented the cash flow statements for June and July 2015. He noted that overspending in the Overdrive line was approved at a previous Board meeting and perhaps the approved budget should be adjusted accordingly. Also noted was the insurance payment made in June instead of July and a bulk order of Dell computers which will realize LION significant savings.
On a motion by Meryl F. and a second by Sandy R. the report was placed on file for audit.
1. Downloadable magazines – Janet F. reported that the LUX Committee voted unanimously to stay with Zinio. Alan will send out estimated Zinio fees for 2015/16. It was recommended that more children’s and teen titles be included. Sandy R. moved and Richard C. seconded a motion to renew LION’s subscription to Zinio. Approved unanimously.
2. eCommerce update – LION has set up a new checking account for eCommerce and is waiting for Innovative and PayPal to set up an eMerchant account. We should be ready to use eCommerce by late September. After a lengthy discussion the following motions were made:
Richard C. moved and Lisa T. seconded a motion to set the minimum payment that is allowed to be charged via eCommerce to Sierra’s accepted minimum. Approved unanimously.
Karen R. moved and Sandy R. seconded a motion to pay eCommerce fees from LION’s reserves in FY 15/16 in order to gather better information on how to fairly divide the fees among members the following year. Approved unanimously.
Start date is set for October 1. Libraries who do not wish to participate need to let Alan know.
3. CEN fiber upgrades – Rick W. reported that the State Library was given $3.6 million to upgrade 90+ libraries still on DSL. The State Library will go out to bid for the project which will hopefully bring down current prices but will likely delay action until July 2016. 16 LION libraries will be upgraded. Rick will visit each one to determine space and equipment needed to accommodate fiber when installed. Alan asked the Board to clarify LION’s responsibilities for purchasing and installing necessary equipment. It was recommended that LION take care of equipment up to the connector racks, and that libraries are responsible for getting the wires to the box.
Sandy R. moved and Elizabeth D. seconded a motion the LION will purchase and install equipment that will be used for telecom upgrades excluding what CEN provides. Approved unanimously.
4. Minecraft server – Janet reported that there is an interest in LION hosting a Minecraft server for members. Rick and Justin will be attending a CEN workshop on this later in September.
5. Next meeting will be held on October 27. Place TBD.
1. LION staff:
Rick reported that the e-mail server has been updated and that he is planning on buying a certificate to allow encrypting webmail for security purposes. Matt is working on installation of new computers and software upgrades and reported that a recent bulk purchase of Dell computers saved LION $14,000!
2. LION Committees (Reminder – Committee membership lists are on the LION website.)
- Nominating: None
- Finance: None
- Personnel: None
- Planning/Negotiations: Alan, Jane and Karen will be meeting soon.
- Bibliographic: Met and are working on cleaning up records in the database
- Circulation: Will meet soon
- LUX: – Janet attended Overdrives biennial conference “Digipalooza” in August and recommends it highly. Overdrive’s media console which allows patrons to download content in the library was particularly interesting.
VIII. OLD BUSINESS – None
IX. NEW BUSINESS – Bonny happily announced that Scranton Library, Madison has left their Town’s IT department for computer maintenance and LION will now service them.
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 11:35 a.m. on a Motion by Lisa T… and a second by Suzanne M.
Karen Roesler, acting secretary
Next Refreshments: Essex