LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Russell Library, Middletown
PRESENT: Kathy Rieger – BR, Cyndi Shirshac – DU, Marie Shaw – EH, Lydia Main – EL, William Deakyne – EL, Richard Conroy – EX, Nancy Wardell – GU, Gale Bradbury – LB/LG, Sandy Long – MA, Bonny Albanese – MA, Katie Brossard – MC, Vince Juliano – MD, Deb Barberi – MD, Karen Roesler – ME, Bob Hull – NB, Lois Baldini – NH, Cornell McNair – NW, Mary Fiorelli – OL, Meryl Farber – OR, Kelly Marszycki – RA, Leslie Scherer – WA, Janet Flewelling – WA, Colleen Bailie –WM, Todd Fabian – WD, Lew Daniels – WS, Alan Hagyard – LION, Andy Gardner – LION, Rick Widlansky – LION, Matt Beardsley – LION
I. CALL TO ORDER: Kathy R. called the meeting to order at 9:40 a.m.
II. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA: None.
III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None.
VI. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of the April 25, 2011 were accepted on a motion by Richard Conroy and a second by Mary Fiorelli.
V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Treasurer Richard Conroy presented the cash flow statements for April and March, 2011. The Reports were filed for audit.
- Welcome to LEAP libraries. Bob Hull (North Branford), Lois Baldini (North Haven) and Colleen Bailie (West Haven) were introduced and welcomed to the Board as representatives of our newest member libraries. The migration went fairly well and all libraries are now running on LION.
- Election of Officers. The Board unanimously elected the following slate of officers for 2011/12: Richard Conroy – President, Cindy Mulbach – Vice President, Kathy Rieger – Treasurer, Karen Roesler – Secretary.
- Budget FY2012. Richard Conroy presented the proposed budget. A motion was made to approve the budget by Mary Fiorelli, seconded by Vince Juliano. Approved unanimously.
- Overdrive Advantage Program. Alan H. demonstrated how the Advantage Program would look to patrons using an online catalog by using the Library Connection catalog. If records for Advantage titles are included in the online catalog then it is inevitable that some patrons will request titles that they will not be allowed to borrow. There was a long discussion of the pros and cons of a few LION members participating in the Advantage Program. Points made included an individual library’s right to develop a collection that meets the unique needs of its community, fairness in fees for heavy vs. light Overdrive users, and ease of use and access for patrons. Several alternative solutions for satisfying high e-book demand were discussed, including purchasing more copies or titles for all of LION using the current fee schedule which factors in use, or to allow libraries to get only added copies of a title purchased for all LION. Leslie Scherer asked Alan if Overdrive would allow an Advantage Program library to eventually contribute the titles purchased to the consortium pool. Alan did not receive an answer concerning this from Overdrive, but will get the information before the next Board meeting. Members should be prepared to vote on the issue at that time.
- The next meeting: August 23, 2011 – A lunch will be provided for all by LION to welcome our new members.
The Board Meetings for 2011/12 will be held on the following dates:
October 25, 2011
December 13, 2011
February 28, 2012
April 24, 2012
June 26, 2012
- LION Staff
Alan and Andy were busy adding three new member libraries and launching the “new look” for the online catalog. They are still solving a few little problems.
Rick worked on getting LEAP libraries on the LION network. CEN has indicated that the frame relay connections will be upgraded to fiber at East Lyme, Rathbun, North Branford soon. LION will also receive some upgrading. Rick also noted that he can change our e-mail addresses to match our libraries domain names. In other words, we do not have to use “.lioninc.org” in our e-mail addresses. Libraries wanting to change should contact Rick.
- LION Committees
-Nominating – none.
-Finance – given under Action/Discussion Budget.
-Personnel – none.
-Planning/Negotiations – none.
-Bibliographic – Becky Hagstrom, Bib Committee Chair and LION Staff met with the new member libraries to discuss procedures.
-Circulation – will meet in the Fall.
-LUX –Committee met and wrote a draft charge and discussed Overdrive Advantage Program. They are working on setting the next meeting date.
VIII. OLD BUSINESS: None
IX. NEW BUSINESS: None
X. ADJOURNMENT: Kathy R. adjourned the meeting at 11:13 a.m.
Next Refreshments: Branford – Blackstone Library