LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Russell Library, Middletown
PRESENT: Cyndi Shirshac—DU, Lydia Main—EL, Sandy Ruoff—GU, Cindy Muhlbach—HA, Gale Bradbury—LB/LG, Sandy Long—MA, Vince Juliano—MD, Karen Roesler—ME, Suzanne Maryeski—NL, Cornell McNair—NW, Meryl Farber—OR, Kelly Marszycki—RA, Leslie Scherer—WA, Lynn Serra—WD, Lew Daniels—WS, Alan Hagyard—LION, Andy Gardner—LION, Rick Widlansky—LION
I. CALL TO ORDER: Vice President, Cindy Muhlbach called the meeting to order at 9:40 A.M.
II. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA: Rick Widlansky would like to discuss a special e-mail he received from CEN earlier in the morning.
III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of March 9, 2010 were accepted on a motion by Vince Juliano and seconded by Sandy Ruoff.
V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Due to the absence of the Treasurer, Alan H. referred to the financial reports for April and May 2010. There were no questions. Meryl F. moved and Sandy L. seconded that the reports be filed for audit.
- Alan presented the Budget for FY 2011. Alan explained that, after some investigation, LION changed health insurance coverage from Aetna to Anthem and was able to keep the same rates as last FY. Alan will prepare an estimated FY2012 budget in the fall to assist member libraries in preparing their own budgets. The budget passed unanimously on a motion made by Sandy Ruoff and seconded by Sandy Long.
- Self Check Systems—Alan discussed his investigation of prices for several options for self check. The libraries using self check at this time deal directly with the vendors for technical assistance, not LION. No one is currently using the Innovative model. Members appreciated the information and agreed on taking no formal action now.
- eBooks Evaluation—In evaluating the public’s responses to our current collection of e-Books it was found that more than half of the collection is usually checked out at any one time. There was a discussion as to how the group would like to proceed with developing the collection. Karen R. moved that 150 new eBook titles be purchased by LION from the downloadable audiobook fund and that the Board re-evaluate the collection again in six months. The motion was seconded by Sandy Ruoff and passed unanimously.
- CEN needs written support from libraries concerning the importance of expanding fiber optic connections throughout the state. Members were encouraged to write within the next few days.
- Next Regular Board Meeting: August 24, 2010. Norwich Otis Library will provide the refreshments.
- Tentative Board Meeting Dates for this Fiscal Year
October 26, December 14, February 22, April 26 and June 21 at the Russell Library unless otherwise noted.
- Alan explained that LION will be utilizing SkyRiver for bib records as opposed to OCLC for the next year and then will evaluate it. There is significant savings ($4,000) in switching and so far LION staff is relatively satisfied with the product/service.
- Andy will have the Fiscal Year 2010 stats ready in July. He is getting ready for the new release coming at the end of the summer.
- Rick W. – no report.
Vince J. complimented Matt on his help in setting up Envisionware software at Russell Library.
- LION Committees
- Personnel—Alan’s review is due soon, please send comments.
Sandy R. commented on making sure the Personnel Committee makes a recommendation for salaries to the Finance Committee and then to the Board. We need to review the Bylaws to make sure procedures are correct.
- Planning—the next meeting is in July. The Committee is and needs to work on defining how LION may want to add members. Recently several libraries have joined other consortiums. A lengthy discussion followed about the Board’s responsibilities regarding this. Sandy Long moved that LION have a special meeting on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 9:30 a.m. at the Guilford Free Library focused on LION’s plans for future members. Seconded by Sandy R. and approved unanimously. Meryl F. added that Alan should contact the Director of LEAP before the meeting to express LION’s interest in their members.
- Bibliographic—Lydia M. complimented Paula Soares on an outstanding job as chairperson.
- Circulation—met to discuss the upcoming new release.
VIII. OLD BUSINESS: None.
IX. NEW BUSINESS: None.
X. ADJOURNMENT: Cindy M. adjourned the meeting at 11:38 AM.