Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
January 22, 2008 Russell Library,
PRESENT: Kelly Marszycki, RA; Bridget Quinn-Carey, EX; Lydia Main, EL; Jan Day, WB; Gale Bradbury, LB/LG; Pat Johnson, WA; Valerie Kilmartin, DU; Marie Shaw, EH; Katie Brossard, MC; Michelle Baker, ME; Lew Daniels, WS; Cornell McNair, NW; Nancy Wardell GU; Sandy Long, MA; Peter Ciparelli, NL; Paula Soares, MD; Andy Gardner, LION; Alan Hagyard, LION; Mary Fiorelli, OL; Kathy Rieger, BR; Matt Beardsley, LION; Rick Widlansky, LION; Cindy Muhlbach, HA; Betty Page, ST; Leslie Scherer, WA; Suzanne Risley, MC.
I. CALL TO ORDER at 9:40 a.m.
II. ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None
III. PUBLIC COMMENT: Bridget announced that she has accepted a new position as Library Director at the Buffalo and Erie County Library in New York. She thanked everyone for the opportunity to serve on the LION Board. This will be her last meeting. Kathy apologized for not bring refreshments.
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of the December 18th meeting were approved as written.
V. TREASURER’S REPORT: Kelly had no additional comments to the treasurer’s report. It will be filed for audit.
- OVERDRIVE BUDGET: (proposal in packet) Alan worked on 3 different proposals for the payment of OVERDRIVE in 2008/2009. The proposal with the $10,000 subsidy from LION reserves to help offset the cost to each individual library was the most popular. There was a brief discussion concerning patrons from surrounding towns that use LION libraries but do not carry a library card for LION thus being unable to use the Overdrive downloadable service. Most Board members felt that this policy was fair and access should continue to be restricted. Kelly made a motion to accept the $10,000 subsidy option. Peter seconded. 19 were in favor with EL opposed. Sandy Long asked if the billing for Overdrive could be separate from the usual LION costs because of many libraries paying for this feature from their collection budget. Alan agreed that this was doable.
- NEXT MEETING: The next meeting will be February 26th at 9:30 a.m. in Russell. Durham is responsible for refreshments.
- LION staff: Alan attended ALA midwinter and will distribute his report via email. He mentioned “cell phone tours” as a new technology that was being touted at ALA. He will look into it further as it develops to see what purpose it can serve for libraries. Andy was recently in California for III training. He learned several helpful techniques including changing the size of review files. Matt is beginning to negotiate with Dell for next round of computer systems. He will have the specs for the new computers in the next month or so. Computer replacement is on a 4 year cycle, replacing ¼ of the computers every year.
- Nominating – no report
- Finance – no report
- Personnel – no report
- Bib – no report
- Circ – Met last week to talk about adding the item status of “problem,” a non-holdable status. The next meeting is in April.
- PAC – no report
- EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES – Rick asked about a Board member to chair this committee. Katie and Michelle agreed to co-chair.
VIII. OLD BUSINESS – None
IX. NEW BUSINESS – None
Jan moved to adjourn at 10:04 a.m. to proceed with our Strategic Planning. Mary seconded. Suzanne introduced Kevin McCarthy, our consultant for our Strategic Plan.
Kathy Rieger, Secretary