Libraries Online, Inc.
Associate Director’s Annual Report 2013
My focus for the spring of 2013 was on adding Old Saybrook’s Acton Library to the LION Sierra database. We decided to perform as much of the Acton data extract, conversion, load profiling, record loading, and training as possible in-house, relying on Innovative only where absolutely necessary. In addition to the usual tasks involved in adding a new library, this project required identifying and extracting the data from an ILS that we had never used before (KOHA) and creating new load tables to translate this data into our Sierra system. Acton went live on Sierra on April 30th. Bethany’s Clark Memorial Library also decided to join LION in 2013 and much of the last part of the year has been focused on adding their library to the system. Bethany is scheduled to go live on Sierra in early January 2014. And finally, preliminary work has begun in late 2013 on adding Hamden Public Library’s main and branch libraries to the LION system during the summer of 2014.
The current state of the LION database (as of 12/06/13) with last year’s numbers in parentheses:
• Bibliographic records: 881,155 (861,093)
• Item records: 2,492,515 (2,496,305)
• Authority records: 634,813 (617,918)
• Order records: 185,639 (151,099)
• Patron records: 387,900 (364,158)
• Community Info Database records: 3,232 (3,230)
• Newspaper Index Database records: 222,576 (213,388)
Projects accomplished, conferences attended, and other activities 2013:
• Acton Library migration from KOHA stand alone to Sierra
• Scheduled and monitored Sierra system upgrades as needed
• Attended Computers in Libraries Conference April 2013
• Sierra Direct SQL Access Webinar November 2013
• CT Consortia meetings
• LION Board, Circ, Bib, LUX Committee meetings
• Individual LION library training and consultation for create lists, loan rule adjustments, etc.
• Ongoing record loads for Ebrary, Overdrive, OneClickdigital, etc.
• Ongoing database cleanup of duplicate records, records with no holdings, stale holds, etc.
• Complete migration of Bethany’s Clark Memorial Library
• Migration of Hamden Public Libraries
Associate Director, Libraries Online